Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Connections...

Why do I blog? Why do you blog? Why does anyone do this thing called blogging?

Is it to pass the time, a hobby, something to do?

To chronicle a life, lives, a family?

To share ideas and experiences?

For feedback, criticism, affirmation, acknowledgement?

To have a voice?

To be heard?

To reach out, to network…to connect?

To connect with others we would not have had the opportunity of doing otherwise?

Sometimes having those connections transcend the internet?

I recently had that opportunity; to step away from my comfort zone and actually meet a fellow blogger, in person. Last Friday I, along with my husband and mother-in-law, met with Lou of lceel and his wife, Annie. We met at a local Chili’s restaurant for about three hours; and let me tell you it was amazing.

Without further, long winded, ado…my get-together with Lou…

Lou and his wife were already there when we arrived. Though he wasn’t wearing what he told me he would be, I knew the man seated near the entrance wearing a T-shirt that said ‘Official Mistletoe Tester’ had to be Lou.

Lou and Annie.


Then I jumped in the picture.


Some silliness.


Lou had me captivated for quite awhile.


Then it was time for a few more pictures.


And here’s our whole group. Annie, Lou, my mother-in-law, Barbara, myself and my husband, Paul.



For those of you that read Lou, I only have a couple of tidbits to share:
His wife, Annie, is a sweetheart.
He is a Cubs fan and a Canon man.
He had a tavern on the south side of Chicago just after returning from the service.
He likes to dip his french fries in ranch dressing.
He has a computer in almost every room of the house.
He is as open and warm in person as he is on his blog/comments.

For those of you that haven’t visited lceel, you really should. Lou is an artist. He’s a photographer, a painter and a writer. I’ve seen glimpses of his brushstrokes, but it was his key strokes that captured me.

Meeting Lou in person meant stepping out of my comfort zone, but it was worth it. Lou and Annie are the type of people everyone would like in their life and I’m lucky enough to call them friends.

23 comments:

Shadow said...

hiya, i had to come over here after checking out louceel's photos... you guys look like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone. You all look like you enjoyed yourselves. I'm glad you had such a good time!

moneythoughts said...

Thanks for the pictures Linda, they are really nice and they give all of us who read Lou's blog an opportunity to see what he really looks like. You all look nice too. While I don't read your blog, I do read your comments on Lou's and have enjoyed your words of humor and wisdom too.

MarĂ­a said...

I'm glad you had a good time! Ready for BlogHer now? :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you lept out of that comfort bubble and met them! And yay for having a good time. :)

Unknown said...

Yay for the good time we had and YES!!, we gotta do it again!!

Badass Geek said...

That is EXACTLY what blogging is for... Meeting people and establishing great connections.

Megan said...

That is so cool that you got to meet someone in person! I am bound and determined to do that someday!

Anonymous said...

I'm over here from Lou's, and I'm so glad that you got to meet him and had so much fun! Meeting other bloggers can be so much fun, and Lou seems like such a great guy. Being a Cubs fan rocks, too (I'm from there and am one, too).

Anonymous said...

Like I said on Lou's blog.
Lovely!
And I envy you all a wee bit :)
(By the way "Hi" - just strolled over to nose around in the pictures :)

Jientje said...

Hi!! How nice to meet you! Looks like you all had a wonderful time with Mr Mistletoe tester!
That man rocks!

Suzanne said...

I popped over from Lou's blog. Nice pictures!

I am about to meet the first person I know through blogging, but I've met tons of message board friends. The first time you step out of the comfort zone is the toughest, but it keeps getting easier.

Which reminds me, I need to get a toy ax for meeting her soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am so DYING to meet a few bloggers IN PERSON.

And you are adorable!

Unknown said...

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone and YEAH for you all that is was a great experience!

Lisa said...

Ohhh, that is so sweet. I bet you are glad you did step out your comfort zone to meet someone. I think this blogging is awesome. I love meeting people and at least this is one way I can!

Anonymous said...

That is a truly great story, Linda (can I call you that?). I often wonder if I'll ever get to meet any of my on-line friends. If I'm ever in Chicago I'll let you know. I have to admit, however, that my personality in writing is a little different than my personality in person.

No, I'm not a serial killer. I know that's what you were thinking...

Momisodes said...

What fun! Lou is such a sweetheart. He is truly one of my favorite individuals online.

That is wonderful you all had a chance to meet! I hear you on stepping out of your comfort zone. I was a bit hesitant about going to a small local Blogher event here. But it was great fun :)

Thank you so much for sharing all of these wonderful pics!

Anonymous said...

pssst: Happy Thanksgiving from Mexico!

Michael C said...

Great pics! I'm glad you got the opportunity to meet a fellow blogger. I have yet to get to do that. Hope you had a great T-day and a wonderful LONG weekend!! :)

Lola said...

How cool is that! I think Lou is awesome, and so are you. Glad you guys had a good time, and I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Skeeter said...

Hi L.,

Thanks for the recommend. I'll head over and visit Iceel.

Best wishes,

Skeeter

Unknown said...

wow! great post! that's so exciting that you got to meet him. there are lots of fellow bloggers i think would be fun to meet in person!

Lisa said...

where are you??? Hope all is well and hope we hear from you soon!